I wanted a little taste of summer the other day and these cucumbers hit the spot. They’re quick, simple, and tangy with a crisp crunch. The recipe is one that’s been kicking around for decades but traditionally uses sugar. It is easily adapted to paleo and SCD diets by substituting honey instead.
- 2-3 cucumbers
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried dill (2 if using fresh)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- pepper to taste
- Peel the cucumbers and cut into 1/4-inch slices.
- Combine the remaining ingredients, mixing well for the honey.
- Add the cucumber slices.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from fridge and serve. Serves 4.
When I started peeling the cucumbers I discovered our vegetable peeler had somehow broken, but only on one side. (I live with two boys; inevitably, some household items meet with unsavory fates.) It was still somewhat usable left-handed. Though I can’t recommend this method, it got the job done. I know what I’m shopping for this weekend.